To all who've recently subscribed to our newsletter: Thank you for joining!
The first trout stocking on the Guadalupe is complete. GRTU stocked 8,000 pounds of Rainbow trout from FM306 to the 2nd crossing bridge (the Trout Special Regulation Zone) ranging 15 to 20 plus inches. These fish are still getting adjusted to their new environment and need extra attention during catch and release. Playing the fish quick and keeping the fish in the water for pics will help the fish survive. Lots of folks are enjoying some great fly fishing and excellent weather.
Store hours have returned to 7 days a week. Parking is available for fly fishing access for $10 per person. 2 hour fly fishing lessons are available for $100 per angler.
All of the local rivers currently have ideal flows and temperatures. Lots of bass and perch are being caught deep on sink tip fly lines using various minnow patterns. Trout are being caught with all techniques. The nymph fishing includes eggs, worms, soft hackles, midges, caddis, and various mayfly emergers. Dry fly fishing has been good at times with caddis, and various mayfly patterns. Streamer fishing has been good with basic Wooly Buggers. Please contact us if you want to experience some great hill country fly fishing.
Flows on the Guadalupe below Canyon Lake are currently at 97 CFS. The Canyon Lake level is a few feet low and flows could reduce more if rainfall doesn't increase. It's very important to keep a watch on the river flows. Wading can become dangerous if you are on the river when the dam suddenly increases its flow. We recommend visiting http://www.grtu.org/flow/ to stay informed of the lake level and dam release.
There are a good number of trout that have made it through the summer. Good flows through the summer, lower fishing pressure during spawning times, and a new feeding program from GRTU have helped increase these numbers. Small Rainbow trout under 10 inches have been found in the holdover areas indicating some trout reproduction. TXPW has done a shocking study to learn more, and an official report should be available soon.
Don't be intimidated by the skills needed to fish the warm water species. By booking a half day trip or 2 hour lesson, we can provide the equipment needed and show you how to use it. We can also schedule 2-hour lessons for trout fishing. This is a great way to break into the sport or improve skills.
Please contact us if you want to experience some great Colorado or Hill Country fly fishing. Guided trips and gift certificates can be purchased online at http://actionangler.net/ by clicking the "BOOK NOW" button.
I'd like to fill you in on the most recent news in the Texas Hill Country and west/central Colorado.
News and updates:
1. Action Angler is a booking agent and guide for 1, 2, and 3 day float trips on the Gunnison River through the Gunnison Gorge and lower Gunnison River. This allows us to hold preferred dates for our clients. The Gunnison Gorge is thought of by many as a Top 20 Destination To See Before You Die, and also referred to as a mini-Grand Canyon. The lower Gunnison River is an easier-paced section, with day trips starting at $600. Please contact us for details.
2. The next meeting for the New Braunfels Fly Fishers is scheduled for January 28, 2020. https://www.facebook.com/NewBraunfelsFlyFishers The next GRTU meeting is November 16. http://www.grtu.org/
3. Action Angler will be hosting its 14th annual fly fishing event on December 7 from 9am to 11am. Texas Parks and Wildlife will be stocking over 1000 trout for this event. This is a great opportunity to learn the basics of fly fishing, and tips for fly fishing the Guadalupe River. Instruction will be given by local fly fishing guides, and the cost for the instruction will be $30 per person with a maximum of 20 anglers. Demo fly rods will be available, and personal equipment is welcome. A limited amount of waders and boots will be available for rental for $20. Sponsors for the event will donate product samples for the participants. Reservation is required. Please email us at email@example.com.
4. If you are planning to be in the Aspen or Glenwood Springs areas in the summertime or early fall, call Aspen Fly Fishing and/or Crystal Fly Shop to book trips. Be sure to request Chris Jackson as your guide. http://www.aspenflyfishing.com/
If you are planning to be in the Crested Butte or Gunnison areas in the summertime or early fall, call Dragonfly Anglers to book trips on the upper Gunnison River and request Chris Jackson as your guide. http://www.dragonflyanglers.com/
5. Please let us know if you are interested in a premier Bull Trout fly fishing destination in the Northern Rockies of British Columbia.
Here are a few nice river homes to stay at while visiting the Guadalupe River. Two of them are located across the street from the fly shop and can sleep up to 8.
Chris Jackson, Owner/Lead Guide
Go Where the Action Is!